- n (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it)
- n condition in which the earth's surface is worn away by the action of water and wind
- n a gradual decline of something
after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors
- n erosion by chemical action
- The rising water is also causing rampant soil erosion, resulting in riverbank collapses and landslides along the shores of the Yangtze's tributaries.
- At least one set of statistics appears to confirm an erosion of the middle class, though hardly an upheaval.
- When properly designed and built, they can slow beach erosion.
News & Articles
- Avon looks for help with erosion control
Erosion along County Road 625 East at White Lick Creek is getting bad enough that officials here are looking for financial support from higher up. Specifically, the Army Corp of Engineers.
June 14, 2013 - Hendricks County Flyer
- Vote coming Tuesday on Captiva erosion plan
On the north end of Captiva, you can see the slope and divots from erosion. On Tuesday, it'll come down to what commissioners think Captivas beaches are worth.
June 14, 2013 - NBC 2 Fort Myers
- Slope erosion at Grace Lord Park in Boonton to be studied
The Boonton Board of Aldermen again discussed a tentative plan to conduct a $131,000 study along Grace Lord Park’s 800 feet of slope erosion damage caused by Hurricane Irene almost two years ago.
June 12, 2013 - The Record
- Ben Bernanke in Los Angeles Times
The Fed "will strongly resist an erosion of longer-term inflation expectations, as an unanchoring of those expectations would be destabilizing for growth as well as for inflation," Bernanke said.
- Pope Benedict XVI in PinkNews.co.uk
There are scars which mark the surface of our earth, erosion, deforestation, the squandering of the world's mineral and ocean resources in order to fuel an insatiable consumption,the Pope said.
- Barack Obama in BusinessWeek
...and Vice President Joe Biden first presented the initiatives Jan. 25 as the White House set themes for the State of the Union address, with the president presenting a bold goal: "We need to reverse the overall erosion of middle-class...