epoch : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event
- n (astronomy) an arbitrarily fixed date that is the point in time relative to which information (as coordinates of a celestial body) is recorded
- n a unit of geological time that is a subdivision of a period and is itself divided into ages
- Some great men and women like Gandhi and Mother Teresa define an epoch because they embody its highest values.
- Green activists argue that we are in an geological epoch of our own making.
- The Cold War constituted a historical epoch that is remembered for the nuclear war that did not happen.
News & Articles
- College Student Escapes Roommate’s Poisoning Attempt in China
Just months after two cases of university students who are suspected of having been poisoned by their roommates made headlines in China, the Chinese public has been shocked by yet another, similar attempt that took place just last month. The … The post College Student Escapes Roommate’s Poisoning Attempt in China appeared first on The Epoch Times .
June 19, 2013 - The Epoch Times
- Upcoming musical performances at EPOCH
EPOCH Senior Healthcare of Harwich will welcome local guitarist Julie Charland on Wednesday, June 19 at 2:30 p.m. Audiences enjoy Charland’s rendition of folk songs from the 18th through 21st century. This event is free and open to the public. For more information or to request a reservation, please call 508-430-1717.
June 18, 2013 - Harwich Oracle
- Services announced for Lois Thomas of Mansfield
Lois V. (Crymble) Thomas, 99, of Mansfield, Thomas, died Thursday, June 13 at the Epoch Senior Healthcare in Norton. She was the wife of the late Stephen Thomas Sr.
June 18, 2013 - Mansfield News
- John Adams in MiamiHerald.com
In a letter to his wife, Abigail, he wrote that that date in 1776 "will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding generations, as the great anniversary festival. It ought to...
- Pope Benedict XVI in The Associated Press
We, too, who live in an epoch of greater comfort and possibilities, are called upon to appreciate a sober lifestyle,the pope said.
- Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in Forbes
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, president of the World Chess Federation, called Fischer "a phenomenon and an epoch in chess history, and an intellectual giant I would rank next to Newton and Einstein."