effigy : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a representation of a person (especially in the form of sculpture)
the coin bears an effigy of Lincoln
- When the dictator arrived to attend the Meet, the expatriates demonstrated at the airport by burning his effigy.
- Effigy of Ravana, the demon king, is burned during the Hindu festival of Dussehara.
- The procession halts before the sacrificial "Altar of the Owl," solemnly buries the effigy as the music dies away.
- William Westmoreland in Times Online
I have no apologies, no regrets. I gave my very best efforts,General Westmoreland said in an interview in 1985, on the 20th anniversary of the Army's 173rd Airborne Brigade's assignment to Vietnam. "I've been hung in effigy. I've been spat...
- Rick Pitino in ESPN
When I coached at Kentucky, I was Darth Vader in every arena,Pitino said. "They hung me in effigy in Starkville [Miss]. So do you think I'm going to face anything I haven't faced before? When you coach at Kentucky, you're hated by...
- Omar Abdullah in Newindpress
Launching an attack on the Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP), Abdullah wrote on the blog: "It's a pity that when they burn my effigy (in Jammu) they do not also tell the people that until a few days ago they were calling me up and sending me messages to...