dukedom : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the dignity or rank or position of a duke
- n the domain controlled by a duke or duchess
- If he breaks the Gandhite movement, restores India to submission and thus saves the most valuable adjunct of Empire stern Lord Willingdon may even be rewarded with a dukedom .
- He wins the dukedom, the widow, and, at long last, his just deserts.
- It had been prophesied that the Marquis Curzon of Kedleston, British Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, would receive a dukedom, but nothing of the sort occurred.
- Simon Jenkins in Independent
The National Trust is run from London like a nationwide dukedom,Jenkins wrote, on another occasion. "Its factors, the land agents, dominate its command structure. Round them hover a privileged chaplaincy of aesthetes who worship the...