dry : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a reformer who opposes the use of intoxicating beverages
- v remove the moisture from and make dry
- v become dry or drier
The laundry dries in the sun
- a free from liquid or moisture; lacking natural or normal moisture or depleted of water; or no longer wet
a dry climate
dry splintery boards
a dry river bed
the paint is dry
- s humorously sarcastic or mocking
- a lacking moisture or volatile components
- a opposed to or prohibiting the production and sale of alcoholic beverages
the dry vote led by preachers and bootleggers
a dry state
- a not producing milk
a dry cow
- a (of liquor) having a low residual sugar content because of decomposition of sugar during fermentation
a dry white burgundy
a dry Bordeaux
- a without a mucous or watery discharge; a small child with a dry nose"
a dry cough
- s not shedding tears
with dry eyes
- s lacking interest or stimulation; dull and lifeless
a dry book
a dry lecture filled with trivial details
- s used of solid substances in contrast with liquid ones
- s unproductive especially of the expected results
a dry run
a mind dry of new ideas
- s having no adornment or coloration
rattled off the facts in a dry mechanical manner
- s (of food) eaten without a spread or sauce or other garnish
- s having a large proportion of strong liquor
a very dry martini is almost straight gin
- s lacking warmth or emotional involvement
a dry greeting
a dry reading of the lines
a dry critique
- s practicing complete abstinence from alcoholic beverages; I happen to be teetotal"
he's been dry for ten years
- At Wycheproof, in northern Victoria, hopes raised by good rain last year were dashed by a long dry.
- Kitchen Carvery A chef at El Capricho restaurant carefully cuts the hand reared oxen after three months of dry aging.
- Throughout Europe the dry aspect of the Hoover victory continues to set best minds powerfully a-pondering.
News & Articles
- Dry and comfortable through the end of the work week
Dry and comfortable through the end of the work week
June 19, 2013 - The Providence Journal
- Dry pet food recalled due to salmonella
Concerns over possible salmonella in dry pet food prompted a voluntary recall, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
June 19, 2013 - FOX 5 Las Vegas
- Dry weather influences wheat harvest
Dry spring weather has brought mixed results for California wheat farmers. Lack of rainfall has reduced yields for farmers who grow wheat without irrigation. But the dry weather has also reduced damage from a moisture-related plant disease that has hurt wheat crops in the past.
June 18, 2013 - California Farm Bureau Federation
- Doc Rivers in ESPN
Well, there's a lot of crying in our locker room, a lot of people who care. I don't think there was a dry eye,Rivers said. "A lot of hugs, a lot of people feeling awful. That's a good thing, it means everybody cared."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in Reuters
We have had three things come together -- very dry areas, very hot weather and a lot of wind. This makes the perfect storm for fire,Schwarzenegger said at Lake Arrowhead, where blazes threatened two nearby mountain communities.
- Kate Jackson in Twirlit
Her Charlie's Angels co-star Kate Jackson said, "Farrah showed immense courage and grace throughout her illness and was an inspiration to those around her: I will remember her kindness, her cutting dry wit and, of course, her beautiful smile: when...