- n badminton played with two players on each side
- n tennis played with two players on each side
- n a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
- n a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
- n someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor)
- n a quantity that is twice as great as another
- n raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
- v increase twofold
- v hit a two-base hit
- v bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain
- v do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions
She doubles as his wife and secretary
- v bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
- v make or do or perform again
- That twins make ideal doubles players was demonstrated last week when William and Chester Murphy, identical twins, wound up their tennis careers at the University of Chicago.
- Before the national doubles tournament started last week in Brookline, Mass.
- He may have won tennis gold in Sydney four years ago, but this time doubles star Nestor and his new partner are the underdogs.
News & Articles
- Former doubles champ Bob Hewitt to face accusers amid rape allegations
Former Grand Slam doubles champion Bob Hewitt has been served a summons to appear in a South African court to face allegations he sexually abused young girls he coached decades ago, prosecutors said Thursday.
June 21, 2013 - The Florida Times-Union
- McPherson dominates doubles titles in junior open
The McPherson doubles teams took three of the four championships during last week’s McPherson Junior Open Tennis Tournament held at McPherson High School.
June 21, 2013 - The McPherson Sentinel
- Doubles Partner wins Belmont feature
NEW YORK (AP) -- Doubles Partner rallied for a 1¼-length win over Admiral Perry in the $79,380 allowance feature on the turf at Belmont Park on Wednesday.
June 19, 2013 - The Associated Press via Yahoo! Sports
- Roger Federer in Telegraph.co.uk
I looked over and there he was,Federer said. "He asked if I could sit next to me. I said, 'Sure. There's no problem. There's an extra seat'. We go way back. We used to play doubles together, we used to practise a lot together. We've always...
- Phil Mickelson in The Associated Press
I don't mind making a bad swing here or there, making a bogey here or there. It's part of the US Open,Mickelson said. "I thought going without any doubles was good. It's just that I've got to make birdies."
- Zheng Jie in The Hindu
I think Australia is lucky for me because I win the first Grand Slam doubles title in Australia,said Zheng, who won the Australian Open and Wimbledon doubles titles in 2006 with Yan Zi. "So I'm so happy I'm in the quarterfinal of Australia...