- v cause to burst with a violent release of energy
- v burst and release energy as through a violent chemical or physical reaction
the bomb detonated at noon
- It has happened many times that these suicide bombers' explosives detonate before they reach the target.
- Terror suspect Najibullah Zazi has been indicted on a charge of conspiring to detonate bombs in the United States.
- The rewards of the material life seem like small compensation for the daily blows to the ego, which eventually detonate their lives.
News & Articles
- Bank robber claimed he would detonate a homemade device
MERRIMACK – Police are still searching for the man who robbed a Merrimack bank Friday morning, and released a few new details Monday. The suspect placed “a homemade device” and a note demanding money and claiming he would detonate the device on a teller’s counter at the People’s United Bank at Pennichuck Square just before 10:30 a.m. Friday, police said. Police did not say whether the device was ...
June 17, 2013 - The Nashua Telegraph
- Dud artillery shells left above Yellowstone pass
JACKSON, Wyo. (AP) — An unknown number of dud artillery rounds litter the slopes above a remote pass inside Yellowstone National Park, but there are no plans to find and safely detonate them or stop the avalanche control program that uses artillery shells to keep the pass open during the winter.
June 13, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Yellowstone can't say how many unexploded shells lie above Sylvan Pass, or how to find them
JACKSON, Wyo. — An unknown number of dud artillery rounds litter the slopes above a remote pass inside Yellowstone National Park, but there are no plans to find and safely detonate them or stop the avalanche control program that uses artillery shells to keep the pass open during the winter.
June 13, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Peter Wright in guardian.co.uk
The disaster they contemplated was not long off,Wright said. "They were prepared to board an aircraft with the necessary ingredients and equipment to construct and detonate a device that would bring about not only the loss of their own...
- Joe Lockhart in Seattle Times
These explosives can be used to blow up airplanes, level buildings, attack our troops and detonate nuclear weapons,Lockhart said.
- Michael W Wynne in Sydney Morning Herald
It is the electrical firing mechanism that allows the rest of the system to detonate,said Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne.