- v try to prevent; show opposition to
- v turn away from by persuasion
- With sanctions unlikely to deter Iran's nuclear program, Washington draws Arab allies into a dress rehearsal for intercepting suspect ships.
- We want to deter attack and defend territory without destroying what we want to save.
- The measure was intended to deter violence in the kind of gun-ravaged neighborhoods he was seeking to represent.
News & Articles
- Appeals Court Upholds College Student's $675,000 Piracy Penalty
The First Circuit rejects the argument that $22,000-per-song is excessive and points to the way Congress meant to deter piracy by amending copyright law. read more
June 26, 2013 - The Hollywood Reporter
- Norfolk civic league hopes neighborhood watch signs will deter crime
NORFOLK-- The Glenwood Park Civic League is hoping new neighborhood watch signs will deter crime. After a rash of recent burglaries and break-ins, the group got approval from the city to display the signs. John Runyan explained his neighborhood started a watch group about a year ago. The city installed three signs, but his civic league wanted to make more of an impression. They got together to ...
June 25, 2013 - 13 News, WVEC Hampton Roads
- KLEAN Treatment Center Comments on How Parents Can Deter Alcohol Use in High Schoolers
KLEAN Treatment Center, which offers personalized help for those looking to beat drug and alcohol addiction, is speaking out on how parents can help deter alcohol abuse in their high schoolers. (PRWeb June 24, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10851275.htm
June 24, 2013 - PRWeb
- Sheila Dixon in Kansas City Star
On Friday Dixon said: "I will not let these charges deter me from keeping Baltimore on the path that we have set, or from carrying forward the significant progress we have made thus far."
- Alberto Gonzales in International Herald Tribune
Recent events must not deter us from our mission,Gonzales said. "I ask the committee to join me in that commitment and that rededication."
- Mikhail Saakashvili in San Francisco Chronicle
If NATO sends a sign of weakness - and clearly this invasion was intended to deter, to scare NATO away - if NATO gets scared away, then this will be a never-ending story,Saakashvili said during an interview with The Associated Press.