- v turn away from by persuasion
Negative campaigning will only dissuade people
- No one who wished to dissuade a crocodile from eating his tenth explorer would slap it on the back and say, 'Be a crocodile.
- They sent two officials to Cannes to try to dissuade the festival from screening Devils and demanded that Jiang hand over the negative (which was not in China).
- Behind the scenes, however, their opposition helped dissuade Bush from nominating Gonzales to the Supreme Court and, over the years, they have regularly disparaged him as too soft .
News & Articles
- Call for no regret climate adaptation strategies*
The absence of accurate climate prediction models should not dissuade countries from choosing the best ways to adapt to a changing climate, says a new report published in the Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences.
June 14, 2013 - IRIN
- Leader of alcohol and drug abuse group arrested for DWI
As Executive Director of The Prevention Council, Heather Kisselback administers programs that dissuade young people from drinking and driving. But Kisselback failed to practice what she preaches.
June 13, 2013 - WNYT Albany
- 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours Practice continues!
A fine rain was falling on the Bugatti layout – a permanent circuit inside the Le Mans 24 Hours track – when the lights went green this morning at 09h00. This failed to dissuade six cars from taking to the track immediately in view of the race on 22-23 June. They were: the three Audi R18 e-tron quattros driven by Benoît Tréluyer, Loïc Duval and Lucas di Grassi, the no. 36 ... Keep reading
June 11, 2013 - Motorsport.com
- Kay Bailey Hutchison in Houston Chronicle
We have seen negative campaigns run by Governor Perry in the past. Am I concerned? It's not going to dissuade me,Hutchison said. "That's why we need new leadership. People are looking for positive, happy warriors, and I'm a positive happy...
- Sherard Cowper-Coles in TopNews
Sir Sherard added: "Britain had no alternative to supporting the US in Afghanistan, but we should tell them that we want to be part of a winning strategy, not a losing one. In the short term we should dissuade the American presidential candidates...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in International Herald Tribune
Our task is to dissuade them, deter them and prevent from acquiring a nuclear weapon,Clinton said.