- n a cruel and oppressive dictator
- But it turns out that the 84-year-old despot was just slow off the mark in beginning the further strangulation of his own nation.
- When the despot boots up his PC, he finds that the millions of dollars he has hoarded in his Swiss bank account have been zeroed out.
- In a short string of remarkable days a crooked election was held and exposed; a dignified woman established her stature and leadership; a despot ranted, sweated, fled; a palace changed guard--all with a minimum of blood lust and an abundance of determination and common national will.
- Michael Costa in Sydney Morning Herald
I am happy to vote to get rid of the states, I am happy to vote to get rid of the upper house, the lower house, I am happy to have me as a benevolent despot,Mr Costa said.
- Peter Tatchell in Irish Times
Human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell called on the broadcaster to "pull the plug on this criminal despot, who ranks with Robert Mugabe, Omar al-Bashir of Sudan and the Burmese military junta as one of the world's most bloody tyrants".
- Morgan Tsvangirai in Wall Street Journal
Mr. Tsvangirai called Mr. Mugabe a "power-crazed despot holding his people hostage to his delusions, crushing the spirit of his country and casting the international community as fools."