- n a cruel and oppressive dictator
- One of the few autocrats brought to power by World War II was a stern but kindly old gentleman who had no claim to kingship, no ambition to tyranny, and no practice in governing.
- Worse, the attempt to install Abbas as the new autocrat is no more likely to bring peace than having Arafat in that role did.
- But Indonesia's onetime autocrat has been far busier than most of his countrymen realize.
- Jerry Brown in Xinhua
The notion that the president can act like some medieval autocrat and impose the law as he sees it violates the fundamental basis of the American Constitution,said Attorney General Jerry Brown, whose staff lawyers represent the commission at...
- Roger Goodell in New York Times
In Thursday's strip, "Goodell" says, "If all I punish are black guys, then yeah, people might think I'ma racist. But I'm not a racist. That hurts my heart. Look, I'm an autocrat, that's all. I'll punish anyone and like it."
- Ahmed Kathrada in Joburg
Charming and charismatic, he has both a magnetic personality and a commanding presence,writes Kathrada. "An uncommon amalgam of peasant and aristocrat, he is a living paradox: a democrat par excellence, with just a touch of the autocrat;...