deprive : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v take away possessions from someone
- v keep from having, keeping, or obtaining
- v take away
- When you deprive your body of oxygen, it is only a matter of time before your carbon dioxide levels build, triggering a reflex that will cause your breathing muscles .
- Whatever the cause, some parents of nonallergic children grouse that it's unfair of the school to deprive healthy children of their favorite peanuty snacks.
- Before that, he ran the Tennessee Republican Party, overseeing the successful 2000 effort to deprive Al Gore of any home-state electoral votes.
News & Articles
- Government’s Legal Arguments Shrivel on the Vine
Yet again the unanimous Supreme Court has slapped down a government attempt to deprive property owners of their civil rights. What was at stake in Horne v. Dept. of Agriculture wasn’t even the property – raisins! – but the mere ability to challenge the government’s desire to take that property without meaningful judicial review.
June 10, 2013 - Cato Institute
- The Marriage Debate
The marriage debate is not about homosexuality, but about marriage. Upholding the truth about marriage doesn’t deprive anyone of the joys of companionship, as many supporters of same-sex marriage suppose.
June 8, 2013 - Heritage Foundation
- Ayman al-Zawahri in ABC News
The justices were passing judgment on a federal statute used in the prosecution of [white-collar defendants]. It makes it a crime to deprive the public or one's employer or shareholders of the 'intangible right of honest services.' Although a... Ruth Bader Ginsburg http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Bader_Ginsburg&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNE_y12gmoT5rtusZg-Rxy_GhrG8uQ Washington Post (blog) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-watch/2010/06/did_jeff_skilling_do_anything.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGp6qYe6KDdo0f-k0089iss3e9unQ Jun 24, 2010
26651 35442 deprive This bill will deprive us of the opportunity to destroy the American forces which we have caught in a historic trap," Zawahri says in answer to a question posed to him an interviewer.
- John Paul Stevens in Gaston Gazette
Decisions by NFL teams to license their separately owned trademarks collectively and to only one vendor are decisions that deprive the marketplace of ...... actual or potential competition,Justice John Paul Stevens wrote in his 9-0 opinion.