- n the political orientation of those who favor government by the people or by their elected representatives
- n a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
- n the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group
- Modern democracy has its roots deep in religion.
- Why has democracy taken root in India, when it has failed to survive in so many other countries in the Middle East and Africanot to mention in Pakistan, which was part of India .
- On Scene: Security forces crack down violently on a protest in downtown Cairo, showing that the government still has the upper hand in the struggle over democracy.
- Barack Obama in Allentown Morning Call
Obama said his decision was necessary "to hold ourselves accountable to standards that are at the core of our democracy."
- President Bush in USA Today
Bringing Saddam Hussein to justice will not end the violence in Iraq, but it is an important milestone on Iraq's course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain and defend itself, and be an ally in the war on terror,Bush said.
- Nouri al-Maliki in Lexington Herald Leader
Those who benefit from such acts are the enemies of humanity, the enemies of democracy,he said.