- n a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
- n a form of government whose head of state is not a monarch
the head of state in a republic is usually a president
- A republic, if you can keep it.
- The greatest factor in the news about the Ruhr is a movement for a Rhineland Republic.
- Navigate through the People's Republic of China and discover the 50 places where history was made China's Wild Ride The early years of Mao's new republic were exhilarating and .
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
The United States wants the Islamic Republic of Iran to take its rightful place in the community of nations. You have that right -- but it comes with real responsibilities,Obama said in an unprecedented video message released to Middle East...
- Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in CBS News
In the elections, voters had different tendencies, but they equally believe in the ruling system and support the Islamic Republic,said Khamenei, who is Iran's ultimate authority.
- Roza Otunbayeva in The Associated Press
We have passed the new constitution for our republic,Otunbayeva said at a news conference. "It will not be an interim but a legal and legitimate government ...... we are leaving the word interim behind."