crier : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person who weeps
- n (formerly) an official who made public announcements
- n a peddler who shouts to advertise the goods he sells
- If an old New England town-crier cried false reports, he would be placed in a ducking stool, soused again and again to the applause of those whom he had gulled.
- A large part of our job is to make you boogie and make you feel good, but part of our job is to be the town crier or the troubadour who says it's 11 o' clock and all's well.
- Some of the people up there feel compelled to truly perform, like the guy who dressed as a town crier, the guy in the gorilla suit, the lady in angel wings.
News & Articles
- Financial Times CIO manages media shifts inside and out
From the hot metal press to desktop publishing and broadcasting via radio or television, the media has always been driven by technology. You could argue that technology created the media, enabling the dissemination of information with an ambition greater than any town crier could have mustered. As it turns 125 years old the Financial Times (FT), the media organization best known for printing the ...
June 23, 2013 - PC World
- Hopkinton Crier weddings and engagements
The two couples who appear in the Hopkinton Crier's Friday, June 21 wedding announcements are Danielle Campbell and Daniel Drohan; and Jennifer Nieves and Andrew Brooks.
June 20, 2013 - Hopkinton Crier
- Clarks to make changes to newspaper
Share/BookmarkOn June 28, Becky and Jack Clark become the new owners of the Idyllwild Town Crier. Following in the footsteps of the Town Crier’s founder, Ernie Maxwell, the Clarks are bringing a local, family-owned paper back to Idyllwild. For the past 19 years, Tindle Newspapers Ltd., a private British company, has owned the Town Crier. [...]
June 18, 2013 - Idyllwild Town Crier
- David Crosby in The Patriot Ledger
Crosby said, "This tour made us believe in ourselves again. Especially the town crier aspect of what we do. ...... Good art makes you feel something, and anger is one of those things."