- n a woman who cohabits with an important man
- Baptiste the ethereal mime (Jean-Louis Barrault), Garance the worldly-wise courtesan (Arletty) and a dozen other scapegraces and victims are creatures with the fullness and .
- In a scene in Stephen Frears' Chri, an aging courtesan named Lea, nude but for a sheet, is lying next to her lover.
- Yin and yang are the roles they assume offstage as well, as Xiaolou has an affair with a courtesan (Gong Li, the imperious queen of Chinese cinema) and Dieyi flirts with the satrap .
- Paul Keating in The Age
The pub culture in Sydney is stultifyingly bad,Mr Keating said. "It's raucous and it's noisy in their Klondike-like saloons. All that's missing is Lola Montez. (Lola Montez was an exotic dancer and courtesan who wowed Victorian miners...
- Meghnad Desai in Delhi Newsline
The book dates back to the days of her 'courtesan' grandmother Duleepa and is a rich memoir of her family and social life,says Desai about the 500-page book that will be released in Delhi on September 21.
- Aishwarya Rai in South Asian Women's Forum
Speaking about the diversity of her roles in the forthcoming films Aishwarya told CNN-IBN, "What's nice about these three films coming up is that each character is distinctly different. So while Umrao Jaan is (the story of) a courtesan (and the film...