- n a percussion instrument consisting of a pair of hollow pieces of wood or bone (usually held between the thumb and fingers) that are made to click together (as by Spanish dancers) in rhythm with the dance
- His fingers, looped into what look like castanets, dart about just above his lap.
- He wears false teeth uppers and lowersand he thinks it is real funny to take them out at parties and do a Spanish dance, using them as castanets.
- Conchita Supervia sang nicely last week, played castanets better than any of the current Carmens.
News & Articles
- Spanish/Flamenco III & IV
Learn to combine Flamenco's fancy footwork with the grace inherent in the arms, hands, and body movements. Enjoy a brief historical and cultural introduction to this traditional and cultural dance form. An introduction to coplas of sevillanas as with castanets and Flamenco exercises and choreographies. Learn to combine Flamenco's fancy footwork with the grace inherent in the arms, hands, and ...
June 29, 2013 - WPXI Pittsburgh
- Mark Morris in Boston Globe (registration)
I love Lou Harrison, and he wrote me fabulous letters,Morris said. "I had already started to choreograph `Serenade' when he died just over a year ago. I wanted to call him and ask for permission to add castanets for me to play in the last...