- n a politician who is running for public office
- n someone who is considered for something (for an office or prize or honor etc.)
- A look at books on or by candidates running in the presidential election in 2008.
- What started out as a season of unusual opportunity for third-party candidates is coming to a dispiriting close.
- Anchorage Daily News MCT Landov On the Richter scale of Internet search energy, Republican presidential candidate John McCain's announcement on Friday that he had chosen Sarah .
- Joe Biden in Truthdig
In the interview, Biden described Obama as "the first mainstream African American [presidential candidate] who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that'sa storybook, man."
- John McCain in Reuters India
I do not believe that anyone should make promises as a candidate for president that they cannot keep if elected,McCain said to applause in a speech to a Veterans of Foreign Wars convention.
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in ABC News
Let's declare together in one voice right here, right now that Barack Obama is our candidate and he will be our president,said Clinton.