- n (chemistry) an ionic compound that resists changes in its pH
- n a neutral zone between two rival powers that is created in order to diminish the danger of conflict
- n an inclined metal frame at the front of a locomotive to clear the track
- n (computer science) a part of RAM used for temporary storage of data that is waiting to be sent to a device; used to compensate for differences in the rate of flow of data between components of a computer system
- n a power tool used to buff surfaces
- n a cushion-like device that reduces shock due to an impact
- n an implement consisting of soft material mounted on a block; used for polishing (as in manicuring)
- v add a buffer (a solution)
buffered saline solution for the eyes
- v protect from impact
- s of the yellowish-beige color of buff leather
- Plain aspirin is just as good as the more expensive buffered variety.
- Instead, the SCAP buffer builds in extra capital against the unlikely prospect that the adverse scenario materializes.
- The buffer zone they once inhabited is being squeezed out of existence for two reasons: children are growing up faster than ever before, and adults are growing up more slowly.
News & Articles
- Why Transparency Is Your Biggest Untapped Competitive Advantage
For Buffer's Leo Widrich, it's much more than a buzzword. So why isn't everyone embracing it? "Default to transparency" is one of our deepest values at Buffer and it's been absolutely instrumental in our growth from making nothing just two years ago to making over $1 million a year today . Employees share deep personal conversations about how they're really doing and feeling that start from ...
June 12, 2013 - Fast Company Magazine
- U.N. seeks more time to replace Austrians on Golan: paper
VIENNA (Reuters) - The head of U.N. peacekeeping operations has asked Austria for more time to line up replacements for Austrian troops due to be withdrawn from a Golan Heights buffer zone between Syria and Israel within weeks. "Austria has to make us a better offer," Herve Ladsous told Austrian paper Die Presse in an interview published on Wednesday. "To be completely honest, we need more time ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- St. Cloud council suggests better buffer next to proposed office
Wanting to find a better buffer between an office building and a residential neighborhood, the St. Cloud City Council made no decision on whether to allow construction to move forward.
June 11, 2013 - St. Cloud Times
- Kevin Rudd in The Australian
I believe that the purpose of having a surplus is to make sure you've got a buffer for the tough times -- and the tough times have come,Mr Rudd said. "That means making sure that you're taking necessary measures to contribute to positive...
- Scott Dixon in Seattle Post Intelligencer
I think that gave us enough buffer than Vitor couldn't get by,Dixon said. "That was the key moment for me and I think that won the race."
- Wayne Swan in AFP
Events in Greece remind us risks in the global economy stubbornly endure,Swan told parliament. "Aftershocks from the crisis continue to reverberate around parts of the world. The robustness of this budget forms a solid buffer against the...