barrel : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a tube through which a bullet travels when a gun is fired
- n a cylindrical container that holds liquids
- n a bulging cylindrical shape; hollow with flat ends
- n the quantity that a barrel (of any size) will hold
- n any of various units of capacity
a barrel of beer is 31 gallons and a barrel of oil is 42 gallons
- v put in barrels
- It has been more than a century since any major producer shipped oil in an actual barrel, but the unit has been the industry's standard since the mid-1800s, when overwhelmed .
- Oil is unlikely to hit $147 a barrel again at least not during the coming decades.
- It has been more than a century since any major producer shipped oil in an actual barrel, but the unit has been the industry's standard ever since the overwhelmed Pennsylvania .
News & Articles
- Oil prices stay above $95 per barrel
Oil prices stay above $95 per barrel Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 3:11 am, Wednesday, June 12, 2013 BANGKOK (AP) — Oil prices rose Wednesday as energy traders distanced themselves from the debate over whether the U.S. central bank might begin to scale back its monetary ...
June 15, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Oil rises near $98 a barrel amid Syrian war concerns; US pump prices steady at $3.63 a gallon
NEW YORK — Oil rose to the highest level since January amid concerns about a possible escalation in Syria's civil war. Benchmark oil for July delivery rose $1.16 cents to close at $97.85 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
June 14, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Cracker Barrel will have to wait to learn fate of grocery market plan
It will be at least another week before Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Inc. learns whether it will be blocked, at least temporarily, from entering the grocery market. A hearing on the issue ran out of time Wednesday, and will resume June 19 in Chicago, a federal judge said.
June 13, 2013 - The Tennessean
- President Bush in FOXNews
I readily concede it won't produce a barrel of oil tomorrow, but it will reverse the psychology,Bush told a White House news conference - his first since late April.
- Chase Utley in Business Mirror
It was a fast ball in the middle of the plate, I was just trying to put the ball into play,Utley said in a televised postgame interview. "It found the barrel, then found the seats."
- John McCain in Boston Herald
The price of oil dropped $10 a barrel,said McCain, who argued that the psychology of lifting the ban has affected world markets.