athwart : Definition, Usages, News and More
- r at right angles to the center line of a ship
- r at an oblique angle
- Standing athwart of the Obama tide and yelling stop has been great business for Fox News, whose overall ratings jumped (21%) in February while CNN's declined sharply (44%).
- Standing athwart history and yelling stop can be noble, and sometimes even works.
- With the founding of the National Review in 1955, Buckley hoped to inject conservatism with a sense of urgency, literally to "stand athwart history yelling 'Stop!'".
- John McCain in New York Times
Even if I must stand athwart popular opinion,Mr. McCain said, "I will attempt to convince as many of my countrymen as I can that we must show even greater patience, though our patience is nearly exhausted, and that as long as there is a...
- William F Buckley Jr in VDARE.com
Still, when National Review was founded in 1955, William F. Buckley told its readers in its inaugural editorial, that the magazine aimed to "Stand Athwart History Yelling Stop!"