- n the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
could not walk without assistance
- n a resource
- Among the nation's largest banks that have not yet announced they have been approved for the government's TARP assistance are Synovus Financial Corp, MT Bank, New York Community .
- Operator assistance is never free: this one takes five minutes out of your allowance, even if the call was super quick.
- If a firm needs more assistance than is allowed under a widely available standard program, then that is exceptional assistance.
- David Petraeus in Daily Mail - Charleston
We must demonstrate to the people and to the Taliban, that Afghan and (International Security Assistance Force) forces are here to safeguard the Afghan people, and that we are in this to win, that is our clear objective,he said.
- Nancy Pelosi in USA Today
Congressional leaders have been receptive to the idea, and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday called for "emergency and limited financial assistance" for the battered auto industry.
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
What's really frustrating me right now is that you've got these same banks who benefited from taxpayer assistance who are fighting tooth and nail with their lobbyists . . . up on Capitol Hill, fighting against financial regulatory control,...