argument : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a fact or assertion offered as evidence that something is true
it was a strong argument that his hypothesis was true
- n a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement
they were involved in a violent argument
- n a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal
the argument over foreign aid goes on and on
- n a summary of the subject or plot of a literary work or play or movie
the editor added the argument to the poem
- n (computer science) a reference or value that is passed to a function, procedure, subroutine, command, or program
- n a variable in a logical or mathematical expression whose value determines the dependent variable; if f(x)=y, x is the independent variable
- n a course of reasoning aimed at demonstrating a truth or falsehood; the methodical process of logical reasoning
- The Obama campaign says the Illinois senator will present his closing argument Monday morning in Canton.
- Therefore, the argument runs, a government deficit crowds out private investment and does not raise output.
- In the latest issue of PTI magazine, former PTI managing editor Walter Isaacson (and the guy who hired me) makes the argument that for newspapers to survive, they need to begin .
News & Articles
- Argument escalates into gun violence inside a St. Louis business
ST. LOUIS (AP) — An argument inside a St. Louis home health care business escalated into gun violence Thursday when a man shot three other people before turning the gun on himself, police said.
June 14, 2013 - Paris Beacon-News
- Argument sparks stabbing outside McDonald's in Torresdale
Philadelphia Police say one man was hospitalized after an argument outside a McDonald's restaurant in the city's Torresdale section Thursday evening.
June 14, 2013 - WPVI 6abc Philadelphia
- Argument Touched Off Fatal Workplace Shooting In St. Louis, Police Say
St. Louis, MO – Thursday afternoon, two men and two women were shot and killed inside a home healthcare business on Cherokee Street in St. Louis following an argument, police say. The victims were all in their early 40s to mid-50s. St. Louis Police Captain Michael Sack said, “The gentleman who killed the other three [...] Argument Touched Off Fatal Workplace Shooting In St. Louis, Police Say is ...
June 14, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- President Bush in Independent
In his remarks, Mr Bush said: "Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along."
- John Kerry in USA Today
Larry Summers made a very strong argument for why it's important and critical for the overall recovery,said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. "And I think that's an argument that most senators understand."
- Barack Obama in CBS News
In an interview Friday with CBS News' Harry Smith, Mr. Obama said, "The last thing that I want to do is to have the United States be a foil for those forces inside Iran who would love nothing better than to make this an argument about the United...