- v defend, explain, clear away, or make excuses for by reasoning
- v acknowledge faults or shortcomings or failing
- Er, excuse me for saying so, and I apologise for it ahead of time.
- How do you apologise to someone you love using Coldplay lyrics? The Oracle knows the answer to this and more.
- Let bogus poets first apologise, Control their vanity, confess their lies .
- Joe Barton in The Australian
Mr Barton said: "I apologise for using the term shakedown with regard to yesterday's actions at the White House in my opening statement and I retract my apology to BP."
- Andy Pettitte in BBC News
I accept responsibility for those two days. If what I did was an error in judgment, I apologise,Pettitte said. "I was on the disabled list, and I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow. I felt an...
- Steve Jobs in The Guardian
Steve Jobs, Apple's chief executive, called the iPhone 4's launch "the most successful in Apple's history" but added: "We apologise to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply."