- n a defense of some offensive behavior or some failure to keep a promise etc.
he kept finding excuses to stay
- n a note explaining an absence
he had to get his mother to write an excuse for him
- n a poor example
a poor excuse for an automobile
- v accept an excuse for
Please excuse my dirty hands
- v grant exemption or release to
Please excuse me from this class
- v serve as a reason or cause or justification of
Your need to sleep late does not excuse your late arrival at work
- v defend, explain, clear away, or make excuses for by reasoning
- v ask for permission to be released from an engagement
- v excuse, overlook, or make allowances for; be lenient with
excuse someone's behavior
- That the job was a small one not requiring a full-bore investigation is no excuse.
- The couple demands from grantees the same relentless focus on results expected of Microsoft employees and takes away the classic excuse for failure: not enough money.
- GORDON BROWN, the British Prime Minister, on rumors that he may use health concerns as an excuse to step down as prime minister.
News & Articles
- Fathers abound at Pismo Car Show
Fixing up a 1926 Ford Phaeton convertible street rod was the perfect excuse for Alex Meyer of Nipomo and his 17-year-old son Blake, who lives in Albuquerque, N.M., to spend some quality time together.
June 23, 2013 - The Adobe Press
- Widener: AthFest Day 2 offers great tunes all around town
Although the main stage at AthFest might be the main stage, it's no excuse for not roaming through downtown to discover an intimacy the main stage can't offer. On Saturday at the Caledonia Lounge's Dirty Athens Day Party, T. Hardy Morris, the Dead Confederate front man, came on stage mid afternoon inside the Lounge.
June 23, 2013 - Athens Banner-Herald
- Westminster gets another small-schools program of year nod
Excuse us if this is getting boring. For Westminster, it's not.
June 22, 2013 - St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- John McCain in New York Times
I think those statements are wildly inaccurate, and there's no excuse for them,Mr. McCain said from Kabul on the ABC News program "This Week." "I believe we have to win here. I believe in freedom. But the fact is that I think that Mr....
- Sarah Ferguson in Vancouver Sun
I very deeply regret the situation and the embarrassment caused,Ferguson said in a statement. "It is true that my financial situation is under stress. However, that is no excuse for a serious lapse in judgment and I am very sorry that this...
- Bud Selig in Los Angeles Times
While Alex deserves credit for publicly confronting the issue, there is no valid excuse for using such substances and those who use them have shamed the game,Selig said. "What Alex did was wrong and he will have to live with the damage he...