- n people who lived in times long past (especially during the historical period before the fall of the Roman Empire in western Europe)
- n a very old person
- n a person who lived in ancient times
- How could the ancients have been so wrong? Some scientists have attempted to explain away the discrepancy by suggesting that the astronomers of antiquity had observed the star when .
- Was Hoy considered to be off-limits to the ancients of Orkney? Its lack of any of those great burial chambers that proliferate on all the other inhabited islands suggests this may .
- I am, in fact, frustrated that we've civilized ourselves out of really satisfying scapegoat rituals: The ancients would have staged a mass immolation of the AIG casino pigs in .
News & Articles
- Scientists Have Found the Ancient Secret of Indestructible Concrete
For the most part, we humans are better at things than we were thousands of years ago. But there are some things the ancients had down pat. Roman concrete, for instance, is just way better than anything we can whip up today. Finally, after some 2,000 years, modern-day scientists have figured it out . And it's a secret worth knowing. Read more...
June 15, 2013 - Gizmodo
- IndieCade at E3: 7 Grand Steps
A group of alligators are stalking one area of the PC roundtable at IndieCade's E3 expo. They're tiny and plastic, and they're all over the laptop for 7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat , the first chapter in a new series from longtime indie developer Keith Nemitz, known as Mousechief. I stopped by Mousechief's table to talk about 7 Grand Steps, a board-game-inspired tale of ancient family drama ...
June 13, 2013 - Joystiq
- George F Smoot in UC Berkeley
Although cosmology has been around since the time of the ancients, historically it has been dominated by theory and speculation,Smoot said. "Very recently, the era of speculation has given way to a time of science. The advance of knowledge...
- Edmund Burke in Yahoo! News
When Burke spoke of the "wisdom of the ancients," he cautioned that decades and centuries of tradition and reverence for institutions should not be disregarded overnight.
- Dudley Herschbach in Wicked Local Dennis
I loved art and fables, so it isn't surprising that I was immediately smitten with astronomy,Herschbach said. "The constellations reflect the great mythologies going back to the ancients. That hooked me."