- s remote in manner
stood apart with aloof dignity
- r in an aloof manner
the local gentry and professional classes had held aloof for the school had accepted their sons readily enough
- Jealous people are always hating the Byran brothers, calling them arrogant and aloof and unfocused on the game.
- Kate remained aloof and withdrawn when not performing but became totally transformed when she went up to the stage.
- The military remained aloof from all the political machinations that was going on in the capital.
- Dennis Hastert in USA Today
In the summer of 1974, America did not need a philosopher-king or a warrior-prince, an aloof aristocrat or a populist firebrand,Hastert said. "We needed a healer. We needed a rock. We needed honesty and candor and courage. We needed Gerald...
- Larry Sabato in Metro Canda - Edmonton
Kerry never turned them on; he was aloof and elitist and there was just no real passion for him,Sabato says. "They voted for him more than any other age group, but they weren't excited about him. But I'm in a university community and I'm...
- Brendan Nelson in NEWS.com.au
Symbolism is important but it's substance that counts,Dr Nelson told Parliament. "It is of little consequence and meaning to everyday Australians ...... if we only preoccupy ourselves with the future, being indifferent to - if not aloof...