- a separated in space or coming from or going to a distance
the sound of distant traffic
a distant sound
a distant telephone call
- a far apart in relevance or relationship or kinship
a distant cousin
a distant likeness
- s remote in manner
a distant smile
- s separate or apart in time
- s located far away spatially
- The most distant of them, 3C-9, showed signs of a kind of ultraviolet which comes from the sun in considerable quantities but is absorbed by the earth's atmosphere.
- Obama's distant cousin, Gabriel Duvall, was a member of the US House of Representatives, from the second district of Maryland.
- As astronomers probe outward in space, they are looking backward in time, because the light that they see from very distant objects started its journey millions of years ago.
News & Articles
- OUR OPINION: President seeks reduction in nukes
Obama posited a secure world "without nuclear weapons, no matter how distant that dream may be." Frankly, that dream is more distant than ever.
June 22, 2013 - The San Angelo Standard-Times
- Vernon Wells is hitting .118 in his last 30 games
Vernon Wells‘ strong start is a distant memory and he’s hitting .118 with zero homers and a 21/2 K/BB ratio in his last 30 games, posting a ghastly .268 OPS (yes, OPS) dating back to mid-May. For the season he’s now hitting .221 with a .263 on-base percentage and .368 slugging percentage in 68 games,…
June 21, 2013 - NBC Sports: HardballTalk
- Mother hurt by distant son, daughter-in-law
Dear Abby: My son married a sweet girl three years ago, and I thought we would become a close family. I haven't bothered them at all. Since then, she has become cold and distant to me. My son rarely calls or comes around.
June 19, 2013 - Detroit News
- Robert Gates in TIME
For the US - as Gates said in Munich - Sept. 11, 2001 was a "galvanizing event, one that opened the American public's eyes to dangers from distant lands."
- Heather Mills in Telegraph.co.uk
But giving evidence, Ms Mills said: "I treated Sara like my daughter as she often complained that her mother was cold and distant to her." "I spent much of my time consoling her, especially when she said she was having problems with her...
- Ehud Olmert in Forbes
I had many good reasons not to come here,Olmert told diplomats including those from Arab states that do not recognize Israel. "Memory of failures in the near and distant past weighs heavy upon us."