- n a flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism
- n a wing of an insect
- r by bad luck
alas, I cannot stay
- Often too, alas, the monogamy that lies at the heart of many long-term relationships begins to be equated with monotony.
- Our young hero does survive a (hilarious) suicide attempt, but Lauzon, alas, did not live to make another film.
- The Gremlin was quicker than other subcompacts but, alas, that only meant you heard the jeers and laughter that much sooner.
News & Articles
- Magic Johnson's Laker-ness didn't hurt his popularity in Detroit
Now, Johnson is a Lansing native who starred at Michigan State, so maybe this wasn't a fair fight. Alas. Live and learn. But congrats anyway!
June 15, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- Truck-gate: Quessenberry says his truck remains in a police impound lot
Rookie offensive tackle David Quessenberry is a guy worth talking about — even if it’s not about his stolen truck. But alas, the truck is a very weird tale. Today after the Texans’ final practice of mini-camp, Quessenberry expanded on his tweets from yesterday in which he said his truck was found in Kingsville, Texas. “It was used for human smuggling,” Quessenberry said. “That’s what they’re ...
June 13, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- Closing Time: Tom Wilhelmsen loses his way; Jose Valverde and Heath Bell feed the gopher
For the opening six weeks, Tom Wilhelmsen was a closer in control. The Bartender reeled off 11 saves in a row and had a microscopic 0.50 ERA. Last year's delicious breakout year was being validated. Alas, things have fallen apart since the middle of May, so it's time for an audit in Seattle. Settle in [...]
June 13, 2013 - Roto Arcade via Yahoo! Sports
- Zach Braff in Philadelphia Inquirer
Zach writes that "it appears that 'New Scrubs,' 'Scrubs 2.0,' 'Scrubs with new kids,' 'Scrubbier,' 'Scrubs without JD' is no more. It was worth a try, but alas . . . it didn't work. zb."
- Robert Mugabe in International Herald Tribune
We don't want people behind bars. ...... We would want our prisons to be empty than full but, alas, just now they are brimful and we don't know what to do,Mugabe said, according to The Herald, a government mouthpiece.
- Sirik Matak in Washington Post
I thank you very sincerely,Matak wrote in response, "for your offer to transport me towards freedom. I cannot, alas, leave in such a cowardly fashion. As for you, and in particular for your great country, I never believed for a moment that...