airbrake : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a small parachute or articulated flap to reduce the speed of an aircraft
- n a vehicular brake that operates by compressed air; especially for heavy vehicles
- When he was sure of the success of his airbrake, he told the idea to Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, who answered him by saying, "What! Stop a locomotive with wind?.
- George Westinghouse (died 1914), inventor of the airbrake, electric switch and signal, transformer, etc.
News & Articles
- Emirates Team New Zealand Nearly Capsized
While attempting to tack, the Kiwi's wing didn't "pop" to the other side like it should have. This turned the giant wing into a giant airbrake. They tipped to nearly 45 degrees before wing popped into place and they righted. While they were tilted, Oracle Team USA was forced into a tack. This was a foul against ETNZ, adding insult to injury. OTUSA went on to win, now the Americans trail 6-0 in ...
Sept. 14, 2013 - Jalopnik