- v make psychologically or physically used (to something)
- a (often followed by `to') in the habit of or adapted to
accustomed to doing her own work
I've grown accustomed to her face
- s commonly used or practiced; usual
his accustomed thoroughness
- Since marrying the aging Andreas Papandreou in 1989, the former Olympic Airways flight attendant has grown accustomed to criticism and seemed impervious to the attacks on her .
- As Pakistan went to the polls in February, Kayani kept the army out of sight, a first in a nation long accustomed to election results tinged by a khaki shadow.
- As the climate changes, animals may be forced to move out of the habitats they're accustomed to like human refugees.
News & Articles
- Granddaughter's illness reverses roles for Lancaster pastor
The Rev. Roland P. Forbes Jr. of Ebenezer Baptist Church is accustomed to being called upon as a source of comfort for church members dealing with traumatic illnesses, but he has never faced a situation like he is in now.Forbes granddaughter Mahkiya Tate, a 5-year-old who loves to go to church weari...
June 17, 2013 - Lancaster Online
- Yellow Ribbon Program Helps Soldiers Ease Back Into Life At Home
When we first met Amy Wasik at home in Cromwell last summer, she was taking care of her dog's nine new puppies, running her two daughters around to activities, becoming accustomed to the surprise baby she was carrying and preparing to say goodbye to her husband, Dave, who was leaving for Bahrain with the Connecticut National Guard.
June 17, 2013 - Hartford Courant
- Miss Utah Flub Demonstrates Gender Pay Gap’s PR Problem
Last night’s Miss Utah flub during the Miss USA pageant is the sort of contestant freeze up to which we’ve become accustomed, and poor 21-year-old Marissa Powell was clearly out of her depth when asked about the gender pay gap. The question from Real Housewives of Atlanta star NeNe Leakes prompting the Miss Utah flub referenced... Read more » Miss Utah Flub Demonstrates Gender Pay Gap’s PR ...
June 17, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- Bob Bradley in USA Today
We're all accustomed to the fact that if it's an NFL playoff game and there's a call that's in question, there will be a statement by the league from the referee. But FIFA operates differently and soccer is a different game,Bradley said.
- Rafael Marquez in The Associated Press
They are very strong in attack and defense, even though in attack they are not living up to the level that we're accustomed to seeing,Marquez said. "But they have big players that can make the difference at any moment."
- Bobby Jindal in Houston Chronicle
We are likely going to have to become accustomed to evacuating more frequently than when we were younger,Jindal said.