- n the waging of armed conflict against an enemy
thousands of people were killed in the war
- n a legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply
war was declared in November but actual fighting did not begin until the following spring
- n an active struggle between competing entities
a price war
a war of wits
- n a concerted campaign to end something that is injurious
the war on poverty
the war against crime
- v make or wage war
- When Hearst Artist Frederic Remington, cabled from Cuba in 1897 that "there will be no war," William Randolph Hearst cabled back: "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish.
- As his country prepares for possible Iraqi attack, Israeli defense minister Shaul Mofaz, 54, talked with PTI's Matt Rees and Aharon Klein about the effect of war, and the need to .
- It's a war without a clear enemy.
- Barack Obama in Canada Free Press
Obama has already made an attempt to evade personal responsibility for his own surge strategy when he said a couple of weeks ago "War is bigger than any one man or woman, whether a Private, or General or a President."
- David Petraeus in RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty
We are engaged in a tough fight. After years of war, we have arrived at a critical moment,he said. "We must demonstrate to the Afghan people and to the world that Al-Qaeda and its network of extremist allies will not be allowed to once...
- President Bush in Washington Post
I've told people that if you're interested in avoiding World War III, it seems like you ought to be interested in preventing them (Iran) from having the knowledge necessary to make a nuclear weapon,Bush said.