village : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a community of people smaller than a town
- n a settlement smaller than a town
- n a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
- In neighboring Siaolin village, the government confirmed that nearly 400 were buried alive, bringing the death toll of Typhoon Morakot, which hit Taiwan last week, to over 500.
- Village by village, Mexico is hollowing out.
- A village woman's harrowing tale of violence and obstruction of justice reveals the limits to China's battle against corrupt officials across the land.
News & Articles
- Village of Pinehurst prepares for US Open golf tournament
he Village of Pinehurst welcomes visitors from all over the country year round, from golfers, to people just wanting to see the beautiful Sandhills. So next year when over 40,000 people are expected daily for the U.S. Open Golf tournaments, the local stores and restaurants hope those visitors will stop in.
June 13, 2013 - News 14 Carolina
- Village Trustee Challenges Mayor in Brockport
With local village elections less than a week away, YNN brings you a profile of one of the area's most closely-watched campaigns; the race for mayor in the Village of Brockport.
June 13, 2013 - YNN Rochester
- Village of Lemont to promote assistant administrator to top administrator
LEMONT – The village of Lemont is promoting Assistant Village Administrator George Schafer to village administrator, effective July 1. Schafer is replacing Ben Wehmeier, who is leaving for a job in Wisconsin.
June 13, 2013 - Huntley Farmside
- Barack Obama in Austin American-Statesman
To all other peoples and governments who are watching today,Obama said, "from the grandest capitals to the small village where my father was born, know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman and child who seeks a...
- Stephen Harper in International Herald Tribune
My concern is that this village that has stood for hundreds of years would be destroyed simply because I happened to have lived there for the last six years. I told my neighbors that I would do what they wanted. And it seemed that they didn't want... George Clooney http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Clooney&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGbJvErEOoilcJ3syIQXEMzTFarsQ Washington Post http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062200336.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEtPuDnPvPgTzXm-x12TZ8IXczkng Jun 22, 2007
107985 141586 village As 9/11 showed, if we abandon our fellow human beings to lives of poverty, brutality and ignorance in today's global village, their misery will eventually and inevitably become our own," Harper told a special joint sitting of the House of...