- n a body of people who settle far from home but maintain ties with their homeland; inhabitants remain nationals of their home state but are not literally under the home state's system of government
- n a community of people smaller than a town
- n a conclusive resolution of a matter and disposition of it
- n the act of colonizing; the establishment of colonies
- n something settled or resolved; the outcome of decision making
they finally reached a settlement with the union
- n an area where a group of families live together
- n termination of a business operation by using its assets to discharge its liabilities
- Charles Krauthammer has a misleading and evasive column about the Israeli settlements issue.
- If President Obama thought he could deliver the promise of a few Israeli concessions on settlements during his upcoming Cairo speech to the Muslim world, he was sorely mistaken.
- First, even a partial settlement freeze is more than any Administration has been able to squeeze from Israeli leaders in the past, says Robert Malley of the International Crisis .
News & Articles
- Settlement reached in Birch probe
The state of Rhode Island and the city of Providence have reached a settlement with the federal government in connection with a probe into violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
June 13, 2013 - WPRI Providence
- Mau Mau Settlement: How Much Cash Fixes The Past?
The British government recently reached a settlement with Kenyans who were tortured during colonial rule. Host Michel Martin speaks with Harvard professor Caroline Elkins about the atrocities, and how she uncovered them.
June 13, 2013 - NPR
- Fitch: At-Risk Launch Settlement Could Pressure Teva's Ratings
The litigation settlement announced June 12 to be paid to Pfizer Inc. by Teva Pharmaceuticals could pressure Teva's 'A-' ratings, according to Fitch Ratings. Although the pa
June 13, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in BBC News
Not some settlements, not outposts, not natural growth exceptions,Mrs Clinton said. "We think it is in the best interest of the effort that we are engaged in that settlement expansion cease."
- Benjamin Netanyahu in AFP
We want president Abbas to grasp my hand, get into a room, shake it, sit down and negotiate a final settlement of peace between Israel and the Palestinians,he told the US news channel.
- President Roh in International Herald Tribune
I intend to concentrate on making substantive and concrete progress that will bring about a peace settlement together with economic development,Roh said in front of the presidential Blue House before getting into an armored car for the...