- n turning upside down; setting on end
- v become turned or set on end
- v set, turn, or stand on end
- Some cheeky non-traditionalists are upending Christmas celebrations.
- This new reality is upending traditional campaign strategies not just for the organizations of Obama and McCain but also for down-ballot candidates and ballot-initiative efforts.
- Rice protected Hill after his gamble, when powerful hawks in the Bush Administration were gunning for him for upending the strategy to further isolate the dictatorship.
News & Articles
- Clarence Thomas, Stereotype Buster
As his 22nd year on the Supreme Court nears an end, Justice Clarence Thomas is upending some of the familiar nostrums about his work.
June 18, 2013 - Wall Street Journal Blogs
- Envelope mix-up at Daytime Emmy Awards
NBC's "Days" won just its second drama series trophy and first since 1978, upending such heavyweights as "General Hospital," ''The Bold and the Beautiful" and "The Young and ...
June 17, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Supreme Court Gene Ruling Splits Hairs Over What’s ‘Natural’
The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that human genes cannot be patented, upending 30 years of patent awards granted by the U.S. Patent Office. The court's unanimous decision has enormous implications for the future of personalized medicine and in many ways is likely to shape the future of science and technology.
June 14, 2013 - KPBS San Diego
- Susan Schwab in Dakota Farmer
By the House unilaterally changing the rules, changing its rules -- which it can do -- it is upending decades of US trade policy and US trade law,Schwab said.
- John Kerry in USA Today
The president has every right to nominate Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court,Kerry said. "Its our right and our responsibility to oppose him vigorously and to fight against this radical upending of the Supreme Court."
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in The Hill
This regulation threatens access to critical healthcare services and information, while upending the carefully crafted religious protections for patients and providers already in law,said Clinton, who has been chosen by President-elect Obama...