- a having or bringing misfortune
Friday the 13th is an unlucky date
- s marked by or promising bad fortune
the unlucky prisoner was again put in irons"- W.H.Prescott
- The number 13 has been unlucky for centuries.
- A really unlucky man can break a tooth on a cheese souffl, get bitten by the gentlest of Chihuahuas, lose a big poker pot holding four kings.
- But he's gone on a nationwide quiz show hoping that his brief celebrity will catch the attention of the ravishing, unlucky Latika, whom he's loved for most of his life.
- Fernando Torres in Contra Costa Times
Two of the best teams in the World Cup have to play in the semifinal, so unlucky for one of them,Spain striker Fernando Torres said. "They are an attacking team and they will try to win, try to attack. But we will have more space to go at...
- Didier Drogba in The Press Association
Drogba said: "To be able to play against Brazil and Portugal, two of the best countries in the world, is like a dream for our country. We were unlucky but at the same time really happy to have played those nations."
- Pim Verbeek in CBSSports.com
I think we were very unlucky with the red card,Verbeek said. "It was definitely not a red card (and) it wasn't intentional." "What can you do with your arm (when the ball hits it) - you cannot cut it off."