- n blue pigment made of powdered lapis lazuli
- n a vivid blue to purple-blue color
- s of a brilliant pure blue to purplish blue color
- Proust is your man (In Swann's Way, he writes "My greatest pleasure was asparagus, bathed in ultramarine and pink and whose spears, delicately brushed in mauve and azure, fade .
- Those ultramarine blues, whites and lead-tin yellows make each image an epitome of a luminous world, a place not merely revealed by light but constructed by it.
- Fifteenth Century Venice stood out of the Adriatic in a blaze of gold, ultramarine and many-colored marble.