- n a form of government in which the ruler is an absolute dictator (not restricted by a constitution or laws or opposition etc.)
- n dominance through threat of punishment and violence
- As tight a little tyranny as ever flourished in the Caribbean is beige-colored Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina's in the Dominican Republic.
- A Philippine widow harnessed the power of prayer and protest to overthrow tyranny.
- This month millions of American kids flee the tyranny of the classroom bell for lifeguard stands, grandparents' homes and sleepaway camps.
News & Articles
- Some Call It Tyranny: An Atlantic Wire Pundit Guide
It's really hard to measure tyranny. There's a lot of room between a libertarian sea-steading utopia and the totalitarian dystopia of North Korea. But it's tough for pundits to decide just where to draw the line. To help you keep up with where everyone stands on tyranny, we've put together this helpful diagram.
June 12, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire
- Vaclav Havel Journalism Fellowship Announced
RFE/RL is pleased to accept applications for the 2013 - 2014 Vaclav Havel Journalism Fellowship. The Fellowship is a joint program between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic and RFE/RL that is inspired by the former president’s belief in the transformational role of journalism in challenging tyranny. It provides direct work experience and mentoring at RFE/RL’s Prague ...
June 11, 2013 - EurasiaNet
- Bishop warns against tyranny
JNS.org (JNS.org) Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali, the Pakistani-born former Anglican Bishop of Rochester, England and co-head of the Anglican-Al Azhar Dialogue, warned against the rising threat of a “tyranny of the majority” in countries affected by the Arab Spring in a speech hosted by Christian Solidarity International, a Christian human rights group. Nazir-Ali criticized the West for its “love ...
June 8, 2013 - The New Britain Herald
- President Bush in FOXNews
Last year, America continued its mission to fight and win the war on terror and promote liberty as an alternative to tyranny and despair,Bush said in the statement wishing Americans a happy new year. "In the New Year, we will remain on the...
- Thomas Jefferson in Associated Content
Thomas Jefferson once said, "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."