- n an acute and serious infection of the central nervous system caused by bacterial infection of open wounds; spasms of the jaw and laryngeal muscles may occur during the late stages
- n a sustained muscular contraction resulting from a rapid series of nerve impulses
- One of the most violent and fatal of infectious diseases is tetanus or lockjaw, caused by the tetanus bacillus which dwells in earth, manure, intestines of many animals, rusty .
- At least one person has already died of tetanus when unsterile sulfapyradine was used following a pelvic operation.
- It turns out, however, that those antibodies unlike those against illnesses like tetanus or whooping cough can provide a formidable and life-long defense against the flu .
News & Articles
- Free booster shots for adults in Ocean View
A state public health nurse will be providing free booster shots to people 19 and older at the Ocean View Community Center from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, South Kona/Ka‘u Councilwoman Brenda Ford said Friday. The shots will be for diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis, also known as whooping cough.
June 8, 2013 - West Hawaii Today
- NEWS SCAN: UN plea for disease funding, Islamic scholars and polio, antibiotic resistance bill
UN head urges 5-year stamping out of world's deadliest IDs and cholera in Haiti United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon told private sector representatives and philanthropists yesterday that they should "make a smart investment in the world's future" by joining the United Nations in helping wipe out the world's deadliest infectious diseases—malaria, polio, tetanus, measles, and HIV—in the ...
June 6, 2013 - Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy
- Millburn High School to host 'Spring Bash' on June 7
Millburn High School Key Club’s first annual “Spring Bash” will be held on Friday, June 7, at 3 p.m. This carnival is open to all ages with all proceeds going to the "EliMiNaTe" Project to eliminate maternal neonatal tetanus around...
June 6, 2013 - Independent Press
- Elliot Mintz in Washington Post
She was seen by a doctor, who treated the wound, gave her a tetanus shot, cleaned the wound and applied something to it,Mintz said.
- John Andretti in International Herald Tribune
When I first went over there, you could barely find the infield care center - and if you did, you took a tetanus shot to go into it,Andretti said. "Now, they're real, honest-to-goodness facilities with real doctors."
- Ann M Veneman in Xinhua
Death due to tetanus is painful,said UNICEF Executive Director Ann M. Veneman who had just wrapped up her visit to the Indian Ocean country.