- n a person who follows next in order
he was President Lincoln's successor
- n a thing or person that immediately replaces something or someone
- n a person who inherits some title or office
- Had Arthur also died, there would have, been no immediately available successor to the White House.
- His successor may not be so careful.
- During the War a crowd of patriots was gathered in old Madison Square Garden to hear the president of Princeton University, President Woodrow Wilson's successor in that office .
News & Articles
- Iranians start voting to select successor to Ahmadinejad
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iranians began voting on Friday to choose a successor to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, state television reported. The election, in which voters have a choice of six candidates, is the first for a head of government since a disputed 2009 ballot touched off months of political unrest in the Islamic Republic. (Reporting by Yeganeh Torbati and Zahra Hosseinian, Editing by William ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Tulane committee is formed to find a successor to President Scott Cowen
A 14-member search committee has been formed to find a successor to Tulane University President Scott Cowen, who will retire at the end of June 2014. The committee, whose membership was announced Friday, has set a goal of finding a...
June 14, 2013 - New Orleans Times-Picayune
- Iran State TV: Polling Stations Open to Voters Who Will Decide Successor to Ahmadinejad
Iran state TV: Polling stations open to voters who will decide successor to Ahmadinejad
June 14, 2013 - ABC News
- Lloyd Robertson in Globe and Mail
There comes a time and this is it,he said. "I want to leave a suitable period for my successor to have a smooth and seamless transition. While I'll be hoisting anchor next year, I'll be continuing at CTV for some time."
- Mel Martinez in Bizjournals.com
In a message from his office, Martinez said he would "step down from public office, effective on a successor taking office to fill out the remainder of my term."
- John Paul Stevens in USA Today
Having concluded that it would be in the best interests of the Court to have my successor appointed and confirmed well in advance of the commencement of the Court's next Term, I shall retire from regular active service as an Associate Justice,...