- n an extra component of a machine or other apparatus
- n an extra car wheel and tire for a four-wheel vehicle
- n a score in tenpins; knocking down all ten after rolling two balls
- v refrain from harming
- v save or relieve from an experience or action
I'll spare you from having to apologize formally
- v give up what is not strictly needed
he asked if they could spare one of their horses to speed his journey
- v use frugally or carefully
- s thin and fit
the spare figure of a marathon runner
- s more than is needed, desired, or required
sleeping in the spare room
- s not taken up by scheduled activities
spare time on my hands
- s kept in reserve especially for emergency use
a spare tire
- s lacking in amplitude or quantity
a spare diet
- s lacking embellishment or ornamentation
- I asked Kim what he does at his job and he asked me about my new book and what I do in my spare time.
- The Tycoon spared no expense to make his art collection one of the best in the world.
- If you feel secure at work and have a little spare cash, you can indeed be treated like royalty during recession.
News & Articles
- Why Haven't Mugs Told Us the Coffee's Temperature Until Now?
If you've got $38 to spare and a few weeks to wait for delivery, Brando's got a new temperature sensing travel mug that guarantees you'll never again burn your mouth on scalding hot coffee—or accidentally sip a stale brew that's gone cold. Read more...
June 18, 2013 - Gizmodo
- Could son Ronell Wilson fathered with female prison guard spare Staten Island cop-killer's life?
Wilson's lawyers could ask jurors at his penalty-phase retrial to spare his life on behalf of his newborn son.
June 17, 2013 - Staten Island Advance
- Spare the rod decision delayed by merging schools
Spare the rod decision delayed by merging schools A proposal to forbid it in the countywide school system stalled Tuesday when the school board asked administrators to bring back the latest research on spanking in schools. The Commercial Appeal (http://bit.ly/15Vwmh3 ) reported board member Joe Clayton, who spent 40 years as an administrator and principal, wants the option to be available ...
June 13, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- Barack Obama in CNN (blog)
Let me be clear: [Well owner] BP is responsible for this leak. BP will be paying the bill. But as president of the United States, I'm going to spare no effort to respond to this crisis for as long as it continues,Obama said.
- Thomas Jefferson in Enter Stage Right
Thomas Jefferson wrote, "To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate...
- Roza Otunbayeva in The Press Association
As president, I will spare no effort in creating a new political culture based on strict adherence to the rule of law,Otunbayeva said in a speech interrupted periodically by bouts of rhythmic clapping from the audience.