- n the compass point midway between south and west; at 225 degrees
- n the southwestern region of the United States generally including New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Nevada, California, and sometimes Utah and Colorado
- n the direction corresponding to the southwestward compass point
- n a location in the southwestern part of a country, region, or city
- s coming from the southwest
the winds are southwesterly
- s situated in or oriented toward the southwest
- r to, toward, or in the southwest
- From PTI's Amy Sullivan: I recently spent some time in Hamilton County, which includes and surrounds Cincinnati in Ohio's southwest corner, for our battleground.
- The hurricane was 285 miles (455 km) southwest of Acapulco, Mexico, and 335 miles (535 km) south-southeast of Manzanillo, Mexico.
- Given his upbringing in the ethnically diverse housing projects southwest of Paris, no one can speak out against intolerance better than Thierry.
- Val Kilmer in CDInsight
Seven years ago, Kilmer told Rolling Stone that he lived in "the homicide capital of the Southwest," and he complained about the locals in the area by claiming that 80 percent "of the people in my county are drunk."
- John McCain in CharlotteObserver.com
An Arizona senator since 1987, McCain said that "Sen. Obama has never been south of our border" and that "I know these issues. I know what the Southwest is."
- Eddie Sutton in USA Today
When they won the national championship against the University of Kentucky, that changed college basketball,Sutton said. "At that time, there weren't many teams in the South or Southwest that had African-Americans playing. There was a...