- n piece of solid food for dipping in a liquid
- n a concession given to mollify or placate
the offer was a sop to my feelings
- n a prescribed procedure to be followed routinely
- v give a conciliatory gift or bribe to
- v be or become thoroughly soaked or saturated with a liquid
- v dip into liquid
sop bread into the sauce
- v cover with liquid; pour liquid onto
- Neck adornments have been worn since ancient times to signify title or wealth or even just to sop up sweat.
- Observers have expressed concern that such decisions are a sop to retrograde social forces that oppose liberalization and have the support of the generally conservative Ukrainians.
- Robinson moans at the end of Little Ceasar as surprised as we are by a death that may be tragically ordained, but is also a sop to conventional morality.
News & Articles
- Sopra Group: Update to annual targets
PARIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Regulatory News: Sopra Group (Paris:SOP) confirms its organic growth and net debt targets communicated on 22 April 2013 and announces its annual target for operating margin on business activity. Sopra Group has confirmed its annual targets for financial year 2013, both in terms of organic growth (2% to 5%) and net debt (between €150m and €170m). At constant consolidation ...
June 13, 2013 - Business Wire
- Ed Gillespie in Politico
I have already directed the security forces to strictly follow the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to ensure that no innocent lives are lost and no collateral damage is caused while dealing with law and order situations. However, the elements... Omar Abdullah http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Abdullah&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEd7flbrXteLWjic3Zfs52Y0ZsMEw GreaterKashmir.com (press release) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.greaterkashmir.com/news/2010/Jun/21/omar-expresses-sorrow-65.asp&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGgKEnmrOWbw2Z5zYcIDGd6qQWFxQ Jun 20, 2010
92409 122697 sop The risk for them is to continue to appear out of touch with the concerns of most Americans, which is jobs," said Gillespie. "And the only conclusion that a lot of independents will draw is because it's a sop to their left."
- Butch Otter in MSNBC
President Clinton's so-called 'assault weapons' ban was nothing more than a sop to antigun liberals,Otter said in a written statement. "It provided only the illusion of reducing gun violence, but it did real damage to our liberties."