- n (baseball) a ballplayer who is batting
- n a boxer noted for an ability to deliver hard punches
- True, the Red Sox slugger broke out of a truly embarrassing slump over the weekend, but he did so against the Texas Rangers, the second-worst team in the Major Leagues.
- Even more startling was the recent decision by Giants slugger (and the Central League's most valuable player in 2000) Hideki Matsui to turn down an eight-year offer reportedly .
- The above-ground burial plot is currently occupied by Richard Poncher, a businessman who bought it from Joe DiMaggio during the slugger's divorce from Monroe in the 1950s.
- Dustin Pedroia in ESPN
When the idea of moving back to shortstop was floated to me, I welcomed it,Pedroia says. "I'm excited. Tell Derek [Jeter] to enjoy the gold glove and silver slugger awards while he can. Obviously, I'm not serious about the fun I have with...
- Sammy Sosa in Chicago Sun-Times
I'm very proud of the chance they have given me,said Sosa, who has 604 career homers. "I came through like a slugger and proved a lot of people wrong. I feel great about what I've done." "But I understand they want to see young kids...
- Jerry Manuel in USA Today
I discussed that with him earlier and told him that basically we're looking for a hitter, not a slugger,manager Jerry Manuel said. "He's also a guy who can run. He's not a typical big slugger. He can be a good hitter. You like to see that...