- n the act of shielding from harm
- n a shield of lead or concrete intended as a barrier to radiation emitted in nuclear decay
- n shield consisting of an arrangement of metal mesh or plates designed to protect electronic equipment from ambient electromagnetic interference
- v protect, hide, or conceal from danger or harm
- v hold back a thought or feeling about
- But agents have also had to respond to unique security challenges--from rigging traffic lights while Truman strolled through Washington to shielding President Jimmy Carter's .
- Treatment usually is given by a radiologist who uses elaborate shielding to protect parts of the body not intended to be irradiated.
- Nonetheless, the code of secrecy shielding the family is breaking down.
News & Articles
- Udall says balance needed on privacy and security
Sen. Mark Udall said Sunday that the balance between guarding Americans' Constitutional privacy rights and shielding the country from another terrorist attack "doesn't have to be all or nothing.
June 17, 2013 - Denver Post
- Plastic Could Protect Astronauts from Deep-Space Radiation
Plastic shielding could help protect astronauts from harmful radiation on long journeys through deep space, new observations from a NASA moon probe suggest.
June 14, 2013 - SPACE.com via Yahoo! News
- Plastic could shield astronauts from space radiation
By Mike WallSpace.comPlastic shielding could help protect astronauts from harmful radiation on long journeys through deep space, new observations from a NASA moon probe suggest.An instrument aboard NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) found that plastic reduces the radiation dose from fast-moving charged particles called galactic cosmic rays. Scientists have long suspected that this is the ...
June 14, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Norm Coleman in Biloxi Sun Herald
Republican Sen. Norm Coleman of Minnesota, who introduced the amendment in the Senate, called the rights council a platform for "shielding human rights-violating regimes from scrutiny," such as Myanmar and North Korea, while "launching...
- Richard Blumenthal in Hartford Courant
I have significant doubts about the validity of AIG's claims that they are required by Connecticut law to pay these outrageous bonuses,Blumenthal said. "AIG is shamelessly shielding itself behind the Connecticut Wage Act -- a joke of a...
- Chris Dodd in Dslreports
It is unconscionable that such a basic right has been violated, and that the president is the perpetrator,Dodd said in a statement. "I will do everything in my power to stop Congress from shielding this President's agenda of secrecy,...