- n a flat protective covering (on a door or wall etc) to prevent soiling by dirty fingers
- n a shield; especially one displaying a coat of arms
- The prince is a proud man, as proud as the Leopard ramping on his princely scutcheon.
- India: Blotted Escutcheon; Music: Voice of Experience; Russia: The Engineering of Consent; National Affairs: Family Planning; The Press: The Stolen Column Case.
- Escutcheon, toboggan, chrysalis, mollify, appurtenant, desecrate, diaphanous, discernible, penitentiary .