- n a flat protective covering (on a door or wall etc) to prevent soiling by dirty fingers
- n (nautical) a plate on a ship's stern on which the name is inscribed
- n a shield; especially one displaying a coat of arms
- It was high time to give the Vice President his due, Nixon told his aides, who promptly got busy polishing up the Agnew escutcheon.
- Since 1905 a foul blot has stained the national checker escutcheon.
- A federal grand jury sitting in Washington finally got around to the man who added the mink coat couchant to the escutcheon of the Truman Administration.