- n a unit of apothecary weight equal to 20 grains
- n uneasiness about the fitness of an action
- n an ethical or moral principle that inhibits action
- v hesitate on moral grounds
The man scrupled to perjure himself
- v raise scruples
He lied and did not even scruple about it
- v have doubts about
- This scruple and others have so seriously hobbled lexicographers that they have not been able to bring out a comprehensive Italian dictionary since 1811.
- Its mem bers managed to shock Harvard, all right by breaking the university's tradition of rational discourse and outraging plenty of people elsewhere who share that scruple.
- Sleep is supposed to be the kingdom of our own monsters, that nightscape where the id, unshackled by scruple, runs wild and plays out every dreamer's scenarios of fear fulfillment.
- John Witherspoon in Dakota Voice
John Witherspoon, another signer of the Declaration, said, "Whoever is an avowed enemy of God, I scruple not to call him an enemy to his country:God grant that in America true religion and civil liberty may be inseparable and that the unjust...
- Barney Frank in Boston Herald
The first thing that ought to be noted is that (Romney) is the most intellectually inconsistent politician,said Frank during the half-hour call, adding that the one-term governor is "completely without moral scruple."
- Barack Obama in United Press International
In a society, where money is worshipped, there is hardly any scruple or restraint on what those with a criminal bent can do to acquire wealth. The worship of money has gained such ascendancy that people who have become very rich but without obvious... Chief Emeka Anyaoku http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emeka_Anyaoku&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNETDSoQyHxWYbObPu61AqWfwKg-fw THISDAY http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php%3Fid%3D136664&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGfH0lbNRcqfGjhX1ZCbrrznttX_Q Feb 25, 2009
87004 116284 scruples Obama said he understands how agents can be conflicted when asked to protect the American people against people who have no scruples, and would willingly and gladly kill innocents."