- n lack of respect accompanied by a feeling of intense dislike
- n open disrespect for a person or thing
- v look down on with disdain
The professor scorns the students who don't catch on immediately
- v reject with contempt
- Nothing inspires scorn like wasted fameor kills nuance like a fire-engine-red bra.
- And I must here agree with Ginia Bellafante that the books and singing groups that she singled out for scorn, indeed deserve that scorn.
- The Wall Street Journal called the plan "an economic crime," and critics everywhere heaped "Fordism" with equal scorn.
News & Articles
- The Deal: Activist Investors Target Oil Industry
NEW YORK (TheDeal) -- Oil and gas has long been a primary object of scorn from environmental activists angered by Exxon Mobil's Valdez oil spill in Prince William Sound in 1989 and more recently with BP's Deepwater Horizon explosion in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010. However, activists of a different sort -- that is, activist investors -- have increasingly tried over the past year to force change at ...
June 10, 2013 - TheStreet.com
- Ashley Cole is now DJ Ash, or in other words, still a tool
Apparently bored of driving recklessly, calling the FA "twats", shooting people with an air rifle and generally being the rightful target of any scorn, humor and befuddlement in football, Ashley Cole is trying his hand at being a DJ.
June 10, 2013 - Philly.com
- Turning a bad online review into a good thing
The now-notorious social media meltdown that brought public scorn upon the business was prompted by a few critical comments posted online.
June 9, 2013 - The Indianapolis Star
- Eliot Spitzer in Forbes
His comments defy logic, history and reason,Gov. Eliot Spitzer said. "He is someone whose views we scorn. But that said, he is here in the state and will be protected by the NYPD and state police and everyone else."
- Hamid Karzai in ABC News
The election was good and fair and worthy of praise, not of scorn, which the election received from the international media,Karzai told ABC's Diane Sawyer this week, "That makes me very unhappy. That rather makes me angry."
- Dominic Grieve in AFP
Reacting to the comments made by Woolas, the opposition Conservative Party's spokesman on immigration, Dominic Grieve, said: "We have been calling for immigration limits for years now but the government have repeatedly poured scorn on this. But...