- v look down on with disdain
He despises the people he has to work for
- Even the most hardline Islamic clerics, who despise the United States, have been shocked into silence by the attacks.
- For once, the actress seems outside her character, cuing the audience to pity Stella here, despise her there.
- Channel V's Asha Gill senses the frustration: "A lot of Asians despise us because we get all the jobs, but if I've bothered to learn several languages and understand several .
- President Bush in Press Media Wire
The advance of liberty is opposed by terrorists and extremists -- evil men who despise freedom, despise America and aim to subject millions to their violent rule,Bush told the assembly.
- John McCain in USA Today
We are fighting a war in two countries and we're in a global struggle with violent extremists who despise us,said McCain.
- Shaquille O'Neal in Washington Post
One thing I really despise is a front-runner,O'Neal said Wednesday. "I know for a fact he's a master of panic and when it gets time for his team to go into the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down because of his panic."